Examples of surgical mistakes are many and varied. They can include:
- Damage to nearby organs, nerves, tissue or muscles
- Problems with too much or too little anaesthetic
- Faulty instruments or products
- Instrument contamination
- Contraction of one of the many hospital infections
- Failure to properly repair the surgery site afterwards;
- Wrong site surgery
- Poor aftercare resulting in bed sores or tissue breakdown
There can also be issues in connection with whether you gave consent to the risks of having (or not having) the procedure.
Your doctor is under a duty to ensure that you are aware of any material risks, to include any small risks that might nevertheless be important to you involved in any recommended treatment. They should also discuss any reasonable alternatives with you.
How we can help
Surgical errors can involve prolonged suffering and more serious and complex outcomes, even death. There can often be financial consequences, and increased care and rehabilitation needs.
Our team of specialist orthopaedic clinical negligence lawyers are here to help if you or your loved have suffered from a surgical mistake.
We can help you get the answers you need if you think that something might have gone wrong, and get the compensation you need.